Downers Grove, IL
Bales Mold Service was founded in 1978 by Steve and Mike Bales in a 1,000 square foot space, offering only diamond polishing. The company quickly outgrew that small space and moved to a larger facility, enabling us to add hard chrome to our services and requiring the hiring of additional employees. In 1985, a 15,500 square foot building was erected in the Downers Grove (Illinois) Industrial Park to house the current Bales Mold Service operation.
Through the years Bales greatly increased the products and services they offered:
- 1992 – Recognizing the need for new coatings to improve mold release and lubricity, they began working on a nickel Teflon coating and introduced NICKLON®
- 1996 – Making it a truly one-stop shop, Bales began offering micro TIG welding.
- 1998 – Introducing NIHARD® provided abrasion resistance and anti-galling properties for molding customers
- 2001 – Opening a second facility in Harlingen, Texas enabled Bales to address the coatings and finishes needs of customers in the southern United States and the Maquiladora area.
- 2001 – An FFL license enabled Bales to service firearm manufacturers.
- 2001 – Diamond chrome was introduced for applications requiring extreme hardness.
- 2003 – Bales developed NIBORE®, an application that combines electroless nickel and boron nitride particles for superior lubricity and hardness.
- 2004 – Stainless steel passivation was added
- 2005/2006 – The purchase of property adjacent to the current facility enabled Bales to undertake the expansion of their Downers Grove location, adding 14,000 square feet and allowing for still more services once it is completed.
- 2008 – In time for the celebration of Bales Mold's 30th anniversary, construction of the addition to the Downers Grove location was completed, expanding the capacity for Electroless Nickel and Hard Chrome plating. A new, state-of -the-art wet chemistry lab was also added, with an enlarged inspection area.
Bales Mold Service represents the cutting edge of engineered coatings and finishes to customers both in the United States and abroad. Our ability to handle intricate applications with expertise and professionalism is respected worldwide. Bales Mold Service continues to be at the forefront of developing technology, serving varied industries, as we anticipate our future growth.
Member of the following Organizations:
- American Mold Builders Association (AMBA)
- Society of the Plastics Industry (SPI)
- Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE)
- American Electroplaters and Surface Engineers (AESF)
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce
- Harlingen Area Chamber of Commerce
- Tooling & Manufacturing Association (TMA)